Working towards Thursday - Day 336 - 19th November 2013

Well today is day 336 post operation, on Thursday I am going to see my consultant Mr D and I'm hoping to hear what he has planned for the nerve in my chin. 

If we take the nerve out of the equation for a moment, I am over the moon with the recovery now. I'm getting used to life brace free and I often catch myself staring at my lovely straight teeth in the mirror. I'm religiously sleeping in my retainer every night and when I went to see Prof two weeks ago she was happy with the progress. I have to see her again early next year where I will have a joint appointment with her and the consultant to discuss the progress from an orthodontics point of view. 

The swelling has 90% gone but my cheeks do puff up if the jaw has had a particularly active day. Obviously all the bruising has long gone and the scars inside my mouth have all healed lovely. 

In regards to feeling and sensations everything (apart from my lower lip and chin) is perfect and back to normal. 

As the cold weather has moved in I've noticed aching in my lower jaw bone on the right hand side but I just try and keep it covered where possible and avoid walking directly in the wind. 

Mouth opening is also really good and has improved a lot from before
the operation. Mouth opening was very restricted to under 1.5cm's and now it can comfortably open to 3.5cms.

So now, we move onto the one side effect from the surgery that has really got to me. The messed up nerve in my chin. At every movement no matter how big or small it sends a horrible sensation upwards that feels like an electric shock or that similar of having an elastic band twanged on your chin. 

Virtually any movement or contact triggers the pain off. Talking, smiling, laughing, eating, brushing my teeth, washing and applying make-up even having my hair brush past it and applying lip gloss is uncomfortable. 

It's so hard because to look at me I look normal, and I think people do forget that I have it. At the end of the day I still have to do all the trigger acts during the day as it's impossible not to move your chin for any period of time. 

The chin even effected Halloween with only half of my face being able to stand the application of special effect make-up (actually worked out quite well though)

I find I get very drained, and I put this down to the pain being so constant and painful. By the time 2pm comes I can't be bothered with the pain so generally have very quiet afternoon. (This for some friends and family is heaven) Painkillers and medication  haven't done anything really other than make be feel groggy and even more drained.

So on Thursday I will meet with Mr Dodd and see what he has planned, the last time I seen him 2 months ago he was still at a loss as to why this has happened. He recalls seeing the nerve during the surgery, and is certain it wasn't cut, if anything it may have been stretched but he would have expected it to have healed by now. At this stage, at around the 12 month mark, this gives an indication of what the finished product will be. Unfortunately that means a messed up chin. During my last appointment Mr D said he would liaises with his colleagues and a neurologist about a procedure to touch the nerve with a cold probe to essentially stun it. This would temporarily make it numb and may kick start the recovery process again. 

A few months ago this was a worst case scenario, but now I am quite literally at the end of my tether and would try anything! Although I need to get a more in depth break down of the pro's and cons before a decision is made. All I know is that I can't put up with this much longer so Thursday can't come quick enough

I'll update further after the appointment on Thursday

KjS-T x 

P.S I still find it hard to believe the then & now!



4 comments:

  1. Hi
    I've comented before on ur blogs. Im the girl who was diagnosed with the same condylar hyperplasia a year ago. I went on Nov 25 2013 for my pre op. Surgeon says everything looks good and I will be having double jaw surgery next Monday December 9th. As the day is getting closer I'm so nervous. Im taking anxiety meds at night time to be able to fall asleep. Looking back is there something you wish you've done differently in the days before surgery? Any tips or advise? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Wow, amazing you have a date. There is no doubt that the initial few weeks after the surgery are hard, but in the long run, it will be well worth it.

      In the run up to my operation I was actually in Tenerife with 12 of my family, we returned on the Friday and I was admitted to hospital on the Monday. So before I went had to prepare all the Christmas presents for everyone, pack for my holidays and pack for hospital so it was quite hectic.

      I used the holiday to relax and spend time with my loved ones. The night before I was admitted I had a meal with my family as I knew I wouldn't be eating properly for some time.

      I made sure I had nice pjs, slippers and dressing gown so I felt nice in them after the surgery. My mum got me some weaning spoons ready to use when I was able and we got the beloved sippy too. I took some fruit cordial into hospital too which I had for a bit of flavour.

      On the morning of the surgery I had a shower and put a nice moisturiser all over my body so I felt nice and clean. I also took a load of before pictures from various angles so I could compare myself before and after surgery.

      The first 3 days and nights after surgery were hard, not only with the medication they are pumping into you, struggling to breathe and talk is also hard work. I had a pack over my nose which made it hard for me to breathe so don't panic if you feel like that, if they offer it to you, use the saliva sucker because swallowing is very difficult. As soon as able start drinking too, it will be hard as you can't feel your lips and you won't be able to suck through a straw I had to like tip my head back and pour it down. As soon as you can get out of bed, I was restricted initially as I had a catheter in, in the end I asked for it to be taken out. You will have highs and lows, ice cream is a life saver, I was crushing my medication I to it once they removed the drips and sliding it down my throat.

      Try and plan your meals when you get out of hospital as you will need to eat with the medication otherwise you will feel ill, my op was on 18th December a week before Christmas so it was hard with all the lovely food floating around. I had a meltdown when I missed the Boxing Day buffet, but my mum sent dad out to get me a mcflurry (just the ice cream) so that cheered me up!

      email me at kirstyshort_tonge@yahoo.co.uk if you want to chat any time

      Good Luck, stay positive, it will be fine.

      KjS-T x

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    Thank you for your advice. I did have my double jaw surgery on December 9th. The first week is horrible but it does get better. Yesterday, was my 4th week post op. I'm feeling better each day. You are right on meal planning in advance really does help the recovery period. I've been eating healthy and I feel more energized. I'm just getting a bit annoyed that I can't see any improvement in the way my chin and lower lip feel. It's still very numb but sometimes I get like tingling and then toward the end of every day it hurts more and it's warm to the touch. I know maybe it's too soon to expect feeling back. I tried to email you on the email address you provided but it didn't work. I kept getting an error message. Who knows if it has to do with location since I live in California. Thanks again for making this blog.
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Thanks to your blog and to many others I decided to start my own blog today. If it can help anyone who is going through this experience then I'm glad. Thanks. The page is prissyjaw

    ReplyDelete