Still no change - day 275 - 19th Sept 2013


So today is day 275 since the operation andthe nerve pain is exactly the same! 

I went to see Mr D last week who is totally confused by this naughty nerve. He said he seen the nerve during the surgery but he definitely didn't cut it but It's possible that it got quite stretched. 

My jaw and teeth are fabulous and I'm getting used to life brace free. My jaw aches every now and then but it's not horrendously sore. 

This nerve pain however, is very draining and wears me out. Every time I speak, smile, eat, wash, apply make-up or laugh it feels like I'm being beat in the face with an elastic band. 

Mr D now wants to give the nerve up to
the first anniversary of the surgery in December before he intervenes. He said he will assess it again in December and if there's no improvement he will liaise with a neurologist and look at stunning the nerve. He would do this by touching it with a cold probe. Initially if will be numb, and then if with either... Stay numb, kick start the repair process or come back.... Worse! 

At one point numbness was the last thing I wanted, but now I'd take anything for some relief. 

Md D wants me to stay on the medication until December and he does hope it will burn itself out, but in not too sure. I've not seen an improvement at all and the pain is pretty much the same. It's reduced slightly with the Pregabalin medication but is still very much there. 

In regards to feeling and sensation everything apart from my gums and chin is back to normal. 

I can't explain how my chin feels but, if I have a hot drink and rest the cup on my cheek, I can feel the heat from the cup and also the pressure that its pressing against my skin. If I rest a cup with a hit drink on my chin, I can't feel the heat at all, but I get the electric shock feeling because of the physical contact. 

I think this type of pain us very draining, because its so constant. Towards the end of the day, I can't even be bothered to talk because it wears me down so much. 

And the medication makes me feel a bit groggy, but, I know we need to exhaust every option before Mr D intervenes so I'll stick with it. 

I'm loving life brace free, I couldn't get used to looking at myself for ages, it looked like there was something missing from me. I've been really good and wear my retainer every night, all night. I'd be stupid not to though because you don't want to mess two and a half years of dental work up. 

A few people have asked me if I regret having the surgery and the answer is well and truly not. Yes, I've had a few complications but the positives well out weigh the negatives. 

Thanks for all your messages, and thanks for reading my blog. 

KjS-T x 

No comments:

Post a Comment