Operation Update & Brace Removal - Monday 8th July

Monday 8th July

So it's three weeks since the operation to remove the plate and I'm pretty certain it's not worked. 

I went into hospital at 11:30 and was in theatre for about 13:00. Before my surgery I had a good chat with my consultant Mr D who stressed that there was no guarantee that the surgery would release the pain but at least it would eliminate a cause. 

The same anesthetist that put me to sleep on my last two operations was in the anesthetic room so I felt quite reassured but the assistant putting the mask over my face was pushing it down really tight over my nose and mouth and I had a bit of a panic attack. Before I knew it I was waking up in the recovery room feeling very sick and cold. 

The nurses wrapped me in hot blankets and were very kind to me, the nurse actually remembered me from December so was talking to me to try and keep me awake. It was 5:30 by the time I was ready to be taken to the ward so I'm not quite sure how long I was under for. 

Once on the ward I didn't feel sick but my mouth was bleeding quite a lot. I lay there for a few minutes then thought.... I need to try and get up. It took me ages as I felt a bit wobbly but I managed to change into my PJ's then get myself to the toilet. 

I then had some soup and ice cream and then my mum and husband came to visit. 

Mr D came round at about 7pm and told me that one of the screws in the plate had come loose and the bone was infected. He also said that the screw nor plate where particularly close to the nerve but he removed it anyway and cleaned the bone. He also injected some long lasting anesthetic into the problem area for some short term relief. He said that the breaks he made in December had 'softly healed' and would take another 6 months to get up to strength. 

My face was swollen and there was a nice thumb sized bruise on my chin. 

I had some pain killers and when the nurse did my obs he said I might be able to go home later on. This is exactly what I wanted I hear so mum and Matt hung around until I got discharged at about 9pm

I was so pleased to get home and get into my own bed. I slept on and off that night. I couldn't lie on my right side as it was sore from the surgery and I couldn't lie on the left side as the right side would pull. 

When I woke up the next day I was really bruised and swollen. I couldn't really feel the nerve pain as everything was swollen and numb. I spent the next few days taking it easy, I was taking tramadol for the pain which was making me drowsy and feel sickly.

Two weeks after the surgery when I was brushing my teeth I noticed that the unpleasant sensations were coming back. Mr D had said it could take a while for the pain to subside and the nerve to repair so maybe things could improve. 

On Monday 1st July the big day came.... Brace Removal Day!!! 

I was a little concerned that they weren't going remove the brace as I still had stitches in and the incision was still lumpy and raw. It was music to me ears when Prof said it would be coming off. 

She started pulling, cutting and tugging and I was in absolute
agony. I had tears in my eyes and could've quite easily told her to stop. I just closed my eyes and was thinking of the end result. 

It comes as no surprise really that it was painful, those braces had been on for two and a half years. 

When Prof handed me the mirror I nearly cried, it didn't feel real, I didn't look like me and my mouth felt so empty. 

They took two lots of impressions of my teeth, some for my retainer and some to be used as study models. 

My husband and I then had to go away for a bit and return to the hospital 3 hours later to pick up the retainer. 

We went for a walk into City and had some lunch. I couldn't stop smiling, people must have thought I was weird. To everyone else it was another normal Monday, but for me it was such a special day. 

After we had been for some lunch we headed back to the hospital where I was fitted with my retainer. It's a little clear retainer that I ave to wear for the next 12 months. 

As I've still got the nerve pain the doctors have changed my medication from the Gabapentin to Pregabelin. They work in a similar way so I have to start on a low dose and gradually build it up. They're making me a bit dopey and sleepy but I'm willing to give them a try. 

I'll keep you all updated on my progression, quite a few people have asked me if I regret having the surgery done given the post operative complications. I say not-at-all. The look and feel of the results are fantastic, it's just unfortunate that I've got a naughty nerve. 

As you can see from the pictures below... I'm a lot straighter these days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment