The Big Day - 18th Decemer 2012

The night team woke everyone up at 06:30am , I couldn't believe the day of my long awaited operation was here. I was very very nervous. Not about the operation as such but more about the anaesthetic. I had an awful feeling that I was going to have a heart attack while under and die on the table.  At 7:30am I went for a shower and to freshen myself up, I got into my gown and my blood clot stockings. From 08:00am I had a steady stream of visitors from the anaesthetist, pharmacy, theatre nurse and Mr D’s registrar.

The scariest visitor was the anaesthetist, he has actually put me to sleep the last two times I've had maxillofacial surgery. He was very interested about heart palpitations that I get so I told him all about them. He told me I was second on the list and that somebody would be down at about 10am for me.

The waiting time actually went quite quickly and before I know it a Scottish male theatre nurse came down to take me. I sent mum and Matt a quick text to let them know I was going and then took the walk to theatre.

When I got to the theatre block I was taken to a little waiting room and told that the theatre staff would be out for me in 5 mins. I waited there for what seemed like 30 mins when it was really about 10. I sat there and my heart was pumping out of my chest, I felt sick and I was dying for a wee. I went and found a toilet to pass some time.

When I got back the waiting area I seen two figures dressed in green coming towards the frosted glass double doors. It was Mr D and his registrar. Mr D was very upbeat and asked me about my holiday and complimented me on my tan. He asked how as I was feeling and the registrar said to expect the next 24-48 hours to be an emotional roller-coaster. Mr D said that I would have hatred towards him by the time I woke up.

Mr D and the registrar then left the waiting area and about 10 mins later two theatre nurses came out to me. They asked me some more questions then lead me through the anaesthetic room. The room was really cold and there was loads of equipment and drugs in glass bottles around. I remember looking at the clock and seeing it was 11:15 am. They lay me on a bed with a gel mattress to prevent bed sores and the rested my feet on gel holders. They then got me to clench my fist so they could put another Canular in the back of my right arm. The anaesthetist then sprayed a nasal decongestant up nose that was vile, it ran down the back of my throat and instantly started to numb it. After they had hooked me up to the  heart monitor they put a gas mask over my face, the air coming out if it smelt of vanilla. They said the gas would make feel really drunk and within two minutes I had double vision and felt quite sleepy. They then said they were going to give me some drugs that would send me to sleep and make have lovely dreams....... Then I fell fast asleep.

The next thing I knew I was in the recovery room, with blankets wrapped over me that had been in an oven. I was really sleepy and had an oxygen mask on. I heard the nurse telling another I was tacycardic which meant my heart was beating faster than it should have been. I tried my hardest to get my eyes open one at a time until I could focus again. As soon as I was fully awake I started violently vomiting, it was all the blood that I had swallowed during the operation. I had a bandage over my nose and my whole face was numb. My nose was blocked and my throat was sore. I also had a catheter in which I didn't like the feeling of at all. It felt like I needed to wee and I was scared to move Incase I pulled it out. The theatre team had actually brought my hospital bed up to recovery so I slithered onto it. After coming too some more hey wheeled me back to my room.

When I got to my room I was very sleepy, I was sick some more and the nurse gave me a load more anti sickness injections. At 5:30pm I asked a nurse to pass me my mobile phone so I could see if mum and Matt were coming in to visit me. (I couldn’t speak very well but I tried my best) They were which I was pleased about. They arrived at about 6:30pm, mum, dad and Matt. They couldn't believe how alert I was. This didn't last long as the nurse came in and put something into my Canular that made me really sleepy. They left a little later and I had a sleep.





























I woke up at about 11:00pm and felt awful, my throat was in agony and I couldn't breathe through my nose. I rang my buzzer and asked a nurse if they could take the pack from my nose and they said not.

I had an awful night getting about 15 mins sleep per hour, my tongue and the roof of my mouth were full of thick, tar like, dried blood. At about 0500am I took matters into my own hands, shoved my fingers down my throat and started picking this substance off. It was hard going and making me sick but once off I felt a bit better



No comments:

Post a Comment