Recovery Begins, Day 2 - 19th December 2012

I was woken up at 0630 by staff wanting to do obs, give me some medication, pain killers, steroids, antibiotics etc . I found it quite hilarious that they had been so lax during the evening the catheter had actually overflowed all over the floor. I was then pretty much left to fester all morning.

The doctor came round at 0900 and checked the pack in my nose. It was still bleeding so couldn't come off. This really upset me as it was uncomfortable and annoying. The doctor was happy with the position of the teeth and the swelling. I sat in bed for the next two hours just staring into space, nobody came in to open the blinds, check on my or anything.

I eventually plucked up the courage to ring the buzzer. Somebody came in and I asked them to open the blinds for me. Before I could ask her anything else she rushed off. I sat for another hour then rang the buzzer again. A male nurse came in and in some garbled fashion I asked him to pass me my iPad and headphones so I could at least watch something on TV. I also asked if the catheter could come out and he said no.

At about 1300 the nursing staff changed over, I heard a nurse complaining to a colleague that I'd been left all day without anything to eat or drink still with a catheter in. She came in and asked me if I wanted to try and eat some ice cream. I said yes and asked if the catheter could come out to which she agreed!! I managed to get the ice cream down and it soothed my sore swollen throat a treat. After my ice cream the nurse the removed the catheter. I felt instantly better, free to move around and have a wash and a good
look at my face. I slowly got out of bed, really taking my time as not to faint given I'd been laid on my back for the last 2 days. It felt amazing to be out of bed, I got to put my pjs on, wash my face and have a meander down the corridor to the toilet.

I did have to have a drip in because I was still struggling to drink but the nurse put it on a mobile holder so I could still move around with it.

At about 1600, I had a sit on my recliner chair in my room and watched some tv on the iPad. I managed some soup from a sippee  cup for my tea that had been put through a sieve and had some more ice cream.


Mum, Matt and dad came in for visiting at 6:30 and it was lovely to see them. Very tiring but very nice. After they had gone I started feeling a bit sick. From 9-10 I had the most awful hour of vomiting. There were blood clots fall from my nose down the back of my throat that was making me spew... Big time .. Very loudly!

The nurse gave me a syringe of  liquid paracetamol which I tried then threw back up. After and hour of vomiting up blood clots the nurse came in and offered me a sleeping tablet. I said yes but wasn't sure how I'd be able to swallow it. She suggested cutting it up and putting it in a tub of Ice cream. I was that desperate it was worth a try, and luckily it worked. I fell asleep at about 11:30 until 5am.

When I woke up I buzzed the nurse because I was in agony. She said she didn't know what to give me for the pain. In the end she gave me some paracetamol with some ice cream. I couldn't believe I was eating ice cream at 5am. It tasted amazing and really relieved my sore throat, Managed to fall asleep again for a few hours before being awoken again my night staff staff wanting to do obs, give me some medication, pain killers, steroids, antibiotics etc before they handed over to the day staff.







No comments:

Post a Comment